Monday, January 29, 2024

ADDENDUM


 

 

 

Some of my incoming mail occasionally takes issue with my point of view. Sorta goes with the territory. 

I don’t mind it and, given the price tag on these articles, I feel free to simply file the missive of complaint

 and move on. That said, the following disagreement with a film review of mine brought me up short. 

I will not go so far as to say it changed my feelings about the movie The Zone of Interest, but it 

may… repeat for emphasis, may… get me to go back and look at that motion picture one more time. 

Just possibly, it may change your appetite to see it or not. Here, for your edification, is another take

 on the film in question from my middle grandchild, Greer Rose Glassman:



Wow! Your take is bewildering to me! 

I left the theater completely in shambles, cried in my car for several minutes and carried about my day feeling heavy in heart. 

 

It is generally accepted that what makes scary movies, well, scary, is the buildup and concealment of the monster itself. The ick that lurks is that which makes our hair stand on end... It's the shadowy imaginings and personal fears you attribute to the thing that makes it all the more terrifying. When the monster is finally revealed, the jig is up, you're faced with whatever the villain may be, fangs et al, and by way of exposure, fear fades because it can be dealt with. I thought it was quite compelling that was all flipped on its head, in The Zone of Interest. 

 

What I found impeccably horrifying about the film is knowing the absolute terror that is going on just off set, beyond the barbed wire. The auteur assumes we all understand just how unequivocally despicable the Holocaust was. We know this truth as self-evident; we feel it’s reverb to this very day.  Therefore, we need not see the literal suffering of Jews on screen, one might even argue it would be retraumatizing and exploitative of the Jewish victim identity, the boy in the striped pajamas is burned into our brains, already. I thought it was highly strategic to design a film from this new perspective, and I disagree with your sentiment that it is a sanitation. The director is a Jewish man who spent 10 years making a movie about the Holocaust. It is his ability to portray the villains as basically relatable by way of homelife simplicity that makes for such an earth-shattering story - its thesis is about the capacity for violence and the lengths people will go to preserve their own family stability.

 

When the wife puts on the coat and wears the lipstick found in the pocket, my stomach immediately curdled - I can't remember the last time a scene in a movie made me so physically ill. The coat itself is a character - just as the mail delivered clothes are - dumped on the kitchen table to be plucked apart by Nazi wives and their maids. It is precisely the missing owners of these clothes that we are left to think on, to mourn. The real main characters are those that are obfuscated, by design. Their belongings are what ties us to them, which is later mirrored as we look upon the thousands of real, preserved shoes of those killed in the Holocaust, towards the end of the film.

 

The identity of the wife as a caretaker and mother, who plays with her baby in the garden, while priding herself on being called the "Queen of Auschwitz," cements her as one of the more sinister and blood chilling female villains in film, for me. We bear witness to the rearing of a Nazi, the corruption of innocence by way of racist ideology, all the while in this serene and idyllic setting that she is determined to never leave. A kind of ethical pathetic fallacy if you will. It is a reminder of the insidiousness of life, when it carries on despite the inflicted horrors that occur right in your own backyard - a cognitive dissonance that allows for the perpetration of violence, so long as your own abode is tended to, and the flowers still bloom in your rose beds. 

 

The film is also a depiction of psychopathic ambition by whatever means necessary. Confronted by the almost boring mundanity of this evil task makes it all the more scary. I'm thinking of the scene where the husband is calculating how much gas would be required to take out the audience in the third act, noting how tall the ceilings were - analysis at its most cruel. It is reiterated on several occasions throughout the film, how to make killing Jews more efficient, by way of differently architected chambers, capacity of trains, etc. The clerical nature implies the total dehumanization that occurred, which again reinforces just how treacherous these characters are, devoid of empathy, or a true moral North. 

 

The contemporary scenes injected towards the final act, in which we are inundated by sounds of vacuum cleaners amidst custodial workers tidying the Holocaust museum felt similar to the theme of the film itself - an act of preservation of the past, a sort of mirror, with history reflecting upon us these grave injustices as a commandment to never return there. I thought the level of detail in costume design and setting were without flaw, it was highly transportive, which only added to this harrowing sentiment. 

 

I also find it stimulating to think about what it must be like for German actors to muster up whatever ancestral zeitgeist for these roles. I'm sure there is much internal discomfort, similar to what I can only assume it must be like for white actors playing plantation / slave owners, shouting the "N word" at their Black acting counterparts. I'd imagine there must be some emotional confrontation you'd have to have with yourself, as a vessel for history telling, by way of your own comparative lineage... Who knows.

 

I'm sorry you did not like my recommendation, I really felt transformed by this movie and would have loved to digest it in person with you over stale popcorn.

 

Different strokes, I guess! 

 

After I wrote this I googled Johnathan Glazer to read up a bit on his process, I found this article in the Guardian, which admittedly aligns with a lot of what I said already, but there is some interesting stuff towards the end about Sandra Huller's initial reaction to being asked to play the role. Linked here

 

Looking forward to watching Origin. :) 

 

Love you. 

G

 

What can I say? Proud grandpa.

 

Barney Rosenzweig


No comments: